Thursday 4 May 2023

Not to be served, but to serve…

I’m writing in the week which leads to the Coronation of King Charles III. The order of service which will be used was published only a few days ago. There’s been some debate about one particular aspect where, in place of the previous “Homage of the Peers,” there’s a general invitation to those in the Abbey and even in front of their television sets to swear allegiance to the King:

Archbishop of Canterbury:

I call upon all persons of goodwill of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of the other Realms and the Territories to make their homage, in heart and voice, to their undoubted King, defender of all.

All who so desire, in the Abbey, and elsewhere, say together:

I swear that I will pay true allegiance to Your Majesty, and to your heirs and successors according to law. So help me God.

Swearing allegiance to the Crown is nothing new to the clergy. I’ve done it at my Ordination and then with each new post I’ve taken on throughout my ministry. But I think it will be strange to do this from a sofa in your living room - even if you get off it and stand up!

So I’m glad to point out a more positive reciprocity. At the beginning of the service the King is to be welcomed by a young person “in the name of the King of Kings.” And King Charles is to respond: “In his name, and after his example, I come not to be served but to serve.”

There will be much ceremony and presentation of strange regalia. But the first thing to be given to the King is a Bible - with these words:

“Sir: to keep you ever mindful of the law and the Gospel of God as the Rule for the whole life and government of Christian Princes, receive this Book, the most valuable thing that this world affords. Here is Wisdom; This is the royal Law; These are the lively Oracles of God.”

Let’s all remember that - and learn from it.                          

Martin Jackson


No comments: