Sunday 22 June 2014

Rules for living


In today's homily, I found myself talking about Cardinal Nguyen Van Thuan, who suffered imprisonment after the Communist takeover of Saigon - but whose example was a cause for the conversion of his guards. Read more by clicking on the link.

Where can I find out more about him? asked a member of the congregation. Wikipedia has the basics including his "Ten Rules of Life." They're worth meditating upon - here they are:



Ten Rules of Life of Nguyễn Văn Thuận
  • I will live the present moment to the fullest. 
  • I will discern between God and God's works.
  • I will hold firmly to one secret: prayer.
  • I will see in the Holy Eucharist my only power.
  • I will have only one wisdom: the science of the Cross.
  • I will remain faithful to my mission in the Church and for the Church as a witness of Jesus Christ.
  • I will seek the peace the world cannot give.
  • I will carry out a revolution by renewal in the Holy Spirit.
  • I will speak one language and wear one uniform: Charity.
  • I will have one very special love: The Blessed Virgin Mary.

No comments: