Tuesday 5 June 2018

Into “Ordinary Time”…



That’s when the vestments and hangings in church go green - after Easter-tide, Pentecost and Trinity Sunday. But it’s not just a switch from golds and reds to something more mundane. It’s the reminder that it’s in the ordinary times of life that we do our growing - as surely as the grass in your garden will now be growing. So green is the colour of life, growth and hope.

Much of life is about “getting through it.” Fabric takes up much of our time, energy and money in the life of the Church. I’m glad today to have been able to say goodbye to the roofers who have spent the last two and a half weeks at St. Cuthbert’s - but I know we now have to turn to financing and fitting a new heating system. Hopefully there’ll be plenty of fun along the way. But let’s not lose sight of why we are doing it. Keep prayer at the heart of our faith - it will give us energy and growth. Here’s a borrowed reminder of how the simplest of prayers may be effective. References with acknowledgment to Parish Pump

Prayers don’t need to be long to be acceptable to God. 
For instance, consider:

St. Peter (Matthew 14.30):                           Lord, save me.
A Canaanite woman (Matthew 15.25):   Lord, help me.
Samuel (1 Samuel 3:10):                Speak, for your servant is listening.
Psalm 43.3:    O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; 
          let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.

Christians in later years have adopted the same form.

Michelangelo:                    Lord, make me see your glory in every place.
Gladys Aylward:               O God, give me strength.
William Barclay:               O God, keep me from being difficult to live with.
Francois Fenelon:             Teach me to pray.  Pray yourself in me.
John Wesley:                O Lord, let us not live to be useless, for Christ’s sake.

Why not practise saying a simple sentence prayer of your own each day?

Martin Jackson


No comments: